Status
Not open for further replies.

dotma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2011
Spokane, WA
So I usually do not vape at stores and such but I do at restaurants. I always ask first and have never been denied until tonight. Went to a restaurant with some friends, asked the waiter as usual if e cigs were allowed. He went to talk to the manager and came back saying that they do not allow them because they had somebody in there with one before and some other folks had complained that they could detect an odor. Seriously people? Well anyway, I took it like a man (or girl) and had a lovely, enjoyable dinner with my friends.

southernIL

Nov 9, 2011
Norris City, IL
I like the way you handle the situation. I think if we as vapors use common curtsey and let the owner/managers make what we hope is a informed decision the whole community will benefit. I strongly feel that owner/managers should make decision's and hopefully though unlikely the government will keep out of the peoples business.

BeadyKate

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
Eastern WA
What I would really like to do is find out who those people were, follow them next time they go into the restaurant having not showered for a week and just stepping in fresh dog poo and sit next to them and see what they say then. Too elaborate and vindictive?

LOL Love it! I got to Spokane to shop sometimes, and it is a very non smoke friendly environment. (at least when I use to smoke) Got many fake coughs. lol Seems the same with my vaping. Which is crazy. My e juice usually smells like caramel and vanilla. Really?:facepalm: It seems some people are just conditioned to get worried when they see smoke or vapor. That old saying, "where there is smoke, there is a fire". :) jmho, from a small town in WA:vapor:

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
What I would really like to do is find out who those people were, follow them next time they go into the restaurant having not showered for a week and just stepping in fresh dog poo and sit next to them and see what they say then. Too elaborate and vindictive?

You left out the screaming baby. Don't forget to bring a screaming baby. :p

Seriously, the "I smell something" jury is still out on my personal trial. I keep asking people if they can smell anything in the exhaled vapor. Most people say they cannot smell anything at all. A few people do say they smell something, but readily admit it's both tolerable and a heck of a lot better than second hand smoke. And from what I have read on ecf on occasion regarding this matter, how much odor is detected - if any - all comes down to any given liquid. Some of them can produce significantly more odor than most.

Rick (Not caught stealth vaping in the grocery store this weekend...)

VapApe

ECF Veteran
Apr 6, 2011
Ohio
Well don't be to hard on the owner.
You do know you have placed them between a rock and a hard spot.

They would now have to try to explain to any one that complained, Using just what info you gave them as to what was going on.

We know all to well how hard headed antis can be, And and now that hassle gets dropped in the owners lap.
They have a business to run and don't have time to educate all of there non smoking customers.
Just something to think about.

dotma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2011
Spokane, WA
VapApe -- oh i know, and i understand it. This particular place is kind of "high end bar" looking and has fancy schmancy pizzas with like pears and goat cheese and stuff. The tables are quite close together there too (like they have a couple of long benches with 3 tables in front of a single bench, so essentially youre sitting right next to the next table).

Baldr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2011
Dallas, Tx

Just makes you sound disgusting.

Knotar

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2011
St. Thomas Ontario
What i don't get is the odor thing. I vape my caramel, chocolate, and coffee most commonly. Most people think my caramel smells like sweet french toast, my chocolate smells like candy, and well not everyone enjoys the slight scent that comes off the coffee. But either way, these are all things you would smell in a restaurant anyways. The people who complained are most likely the same people who would report you to the police for having your hedge growing 2 inches over their property line ($ inches on a windy day). People like this will eventually die of old age and all that will be left is the next generation who are aware of the benefits of vaping as oppose to smoking.

simplyme82

ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2011
Murrieta, CA
I always ask before vaping in a restaurant also. One time while sitting at the bar in a restaurant, I asked and the bartender and the people sitting next to me. The bartender was cool about it and the people next to me were smokers. As I sat there with my ego puffing on some watermelon juice, the bartender said she noticed a sweet smell. The smokers sitting next to me wanted to try it and loved the watermelon taste. She asked where I bought it from and sat there at the bar checking the site out on her iphone. I hope she followed through with buying it.

simplyme82

ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2011
Murrieta, CA
I work at a government facility. Office mate just returned. He'll be gone in another month, so this isn't a really big deal for me but figured I'd share.

We haven't always had a good relationship since I wouldn't train him on installing a computer system that I work on. (long story that I won't get into) Either way, I decided to give him the same courtesy that I give everyone else.

Me: I have an electronic cigarette. Do you mind me using it in the office?
Him: I don't even think those things are allowed in the building. Are they?
Me: I don't know why they wouldn't be.
Him: Well if they're allowed in the building, then I don't mind. Do they have a smell to them?
Me: With this particular flavor, I've been told it smells sweet.
Him: Ok.

Not sure why they would prevent people from using these inside. I am not going to the smoking area to use it. If worse comes to worse, I'll just go down to my friends office and use it there. As I said, he's leaving in a month, and I have work to do outside the office so not really a big deal. Just thought I'd share.

When I first started to vape, I used a mini that looked much like a regular cigarette. On one occasion while shopping at an outlet mall I chose to sit on a bench near the parking lot to vape. I man came up from behind me as I was blowing out some vapor. He promptly started to cough and turned to glare at me. He walked into the restroom and when he came out he scowled at me as I took I drag. I then recalled what another poster had done in a similar situation and decided that maybe the man needed to get a surprise. After blowing out the vapor I placed what would have been the burning end of a regular cig and placed it against my face. When the shock registered across his face I took my ecig and put it into my purse and walked off to continue shopping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread