Cloud chasing with first mech mod.

Status
Not open for further replies.

codyb88

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2014
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
Is there anything else I need, or will this suffice? I know I'll need organic cotton and kanthal wire. I'll be getting 26g and 28g elsewhere.

Fatboy 2 drip tip

--
$5.99
$3.99

$3.99
DELETE

Nitecore Intellicharger I4

--
$24.99
$19.99

$19.99
DELETE

Delrin Drip Tip connector

Color : Black
--
$1.99
$1.79

$3.58
DELETE

Ohms Meter

--
$19.99
$14.99

$14.99
DELETE

Nemesis Clone by hcigar- stainless steel

--
$39.99
$31.99

$31.99
DELETE

Sony 18650 2600mAh 30A VTC5

--
$12.99
$10.99

$43.96
DELETE

kayfun Lite Plus V2 Clone by EHPro

--
$49.99
$39.99

$39.99
DELETE

Tobh Atomizer Clone by Tobeco w/ BONUS Frosted Cap

--
$29.99
$14.99

$14.99
DELETE

May 8, 2014
San Diego
  • Deleted by The Ministry
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

codyb88

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2014
You may want to get a multi meter or voltage meter as well, so measure how much voltage your battery is putting out and to measure battery life in general. Letting it drop too low is not good for the battery.

A friend of mine told me a volt meter is pointless for safety reasons since there's nothing I can really do to stop it any way.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
A friend of mine told me a volt meter is pointless for safety reasons since there's nothing I can really do to stop it any way.

That was bad advice. You need to be careful to not overdrain your batteries (don't let them go below 3v, better stay well above that to be safe), and the only way to know is to measure their voltage. In the start you'll need to take measurements more regularly, taking out the battery now and again and measure the voltage, but eventually you'll learn by the drop in vape quality when you need to recharge. Also measure your batteries when they come of the charger, to make sure that your charger is working properly and doesn't overcharge the batteries.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

catalyst

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2012
Sweet Home Alabama

I wouldn't trust this friend's advice anymore. That is terrible advice. You will need the multimeter to check the voltage of your batteries. Don't let them go "flat." Check them frequently and don't let the voltage get too low. Also, you should always check the resistance of your coil. If you're running a coil that is too low ohm and your batteries don't have a high enough amp rating you could have a seriously dangerous problem.

codyb88

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2014
That was bad advice. You need to be careful to not overdrain your batteries (don't let them go below 3v, better stay well above that to be safe), and the only way to know is to measure their voltage. In the start you'll need to take measurements more regularly, taking out the battery now and again and measure the voltage, but eventually you'll learn by the drop in vape quality when you need to recharge. Also measure your batteries when they come of the charger, to make sure that your charger is working properly and doesn't overcharge the batteries.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

What happens when it drops below 3v? So you're saying I can't drain the battery like a regular battery is drained? Why?

KurrptSenate

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 9, 2013
PA
honestly, using mech mods for a while, you won't use your volt meter AFTER you start getting used to voltage dropping and how it affects your overall wattage, and ultimately, the quality of your vape.

from a fully charged Sony VTC, with voltage drop, it's probably firing at 4.05 volts. Once that battery drops below 3.9 volts, my vape drops off considerably. after checking that this was the case over and over, I could recognize this drop without testing and would just change the battery and charge the last one.

when you're new, you might not be able to recognize these changes. you don't want your battery getting too low as it can damage the chemistry in the battery. volt meters are like $5 on ebay. definitely worth having

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
You could also use one of these, it screws right into you 510. I moved to this and they are pretty damn accurate.

It will give you Atty the chance to cool off while checking the voltage. Once you use it a while you will learn the life cycle of your batteries and won't have to check them as often.

I use mine all the time when dripping and for your own safety.

Blue LED 510 Volt Meter - Kidney Puncher

codyb88

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2014
You could also use one of these, it screws right into you 510. I moved to this and they are pretty damn accurate.

It will give you Atty the chance to cool off while checking the voltage. Once you use it a while you will learn the life cycle of your batteries and won't have to check them as often.

I use mine all the time when dripping and for your own safety.

Blue LED 510 Volt Meter - Kidney Puncher

I'm not spending $30 on that. I can get one on 101 vape for less than 20

Razzlematt

ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2014
Prescott AZ
What happens when it drops below 3v? So you're saying I can't drain the battery like a regular battery is drained? Why?

A "regular" non-lithium battery is designed to be drained down to almost nothing, and then tossed.

The chemistry in a lithium battery will allow that, but it's the recharging that becomes a problem. Below a certain voltage, when recharging, the lithium battery can/may/will go POOF. It may vent, it may explode, it may do any number of things.

At 3.5 volts (the lowest I ever let my lithium batteries go) the cell is all but drained.

Last edited:

codyb88

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2014
honestly, using mech mods for a while, you won't use your volt meter AFTER you start getting used to voltage dropping and how it affects your overall wattage, and ultimately, the quality of your vape.

from a fully charged Sony VTC, with voltage drop, it's probably firing at 4.05 volts. Once that battery drops below 3.9 volts, my vape drops off considerably. after checking that this was the case over and over, I could recognize this drop without testing and would just change the battery and charge the last one.

when you're new, you might not be able to recognize these changes. you don't want your battery getting too low as it can damage the chemistry in the battery. volt meters are like $5 on ebay. definitely worth having

How long does it take for a battery to get that low? Say 2 uses? 3? Why isn't any of this info just cut and dry. This is the frustrating thing about mods.

Tinkiegrrl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
New York, NY
How long does it take for a battery to get that low? Say 2 uses? 3? Why isn't any of this info just cut and dry. This is the frustrating thing about mods.

E-cigarettes are still in their infancy as far as technology goes. I'm sure that eventually, things will reach the point where the DIY and figure it out yourself aspect will lessen. For now though, battery technology in general isn't there yet.

Tinkiegrrl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
New York, NY
Sub ohming is for large clouds and added warmth to the vape, correct? Another option would be to get a regulate device that is capable of very high wattage, like a DNA 30 device. It will cost more, but a regulated device will shut itself down when the batteries are drained to a certain point. This will eliminate some of the need for a volt reader. Unless you need more then 30 watts?

codyb88

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2014
In my Kayfuns, at 1.2 ohms, one VTC5 battery lasts most of the day.

See the pattern?

Yes. Thank you. :) so what if I used the TOBH and dual coils?

What about a charger that shows voltage?

If they explode when charged from a low voltage why does my cell phony battery not explode then etc?

KurrptSenate

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 9, 2013
PA

battery life depends on the amp draw you're placing on the battery. people with 1.2 ohm coils and the like are putting much less strain on a battery than someone rock .4Ω coils on a mech mod. like someone mentioned, it's completely dependent on your particular setup. if your setup remains fairly consistent, you'll learn it soon enough

using a term like "uses" is very subjective considering what I mentioned above. my normal "pull" might be 3 seconds on a specific build. yours could be totally different.

most people try to attribute "time" to this as in the number of hours of vape time they get from a specific setup. my example using a .8Ω coil on a sony VTC4, I could get around 1.5 hours of vape time, give or take, but the drop off really affected my vape.

codyb88

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2014
Sub ohming is for large clouds and added warmth to the vape, correct? Another option would be to get a regulate device that is capable of very high wattage, like a DNA 30 device. It will cost more, but a regulated device will shut itself down when the batteries are drained to a certain point. This will eliminate some of the need for a volt reader. Unless you need more then 30 watts?

I thought about that but I owned a MVP2.0 and was not impressed (in fact I sold it) and don't care for boxy models.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread