Cleaning cartomizers

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfoster1

ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2012
Mississippi
I am new to vaping. I just recently bought a box mod and a box of cartomizers. There were 5 cartomizers in the box and they had a 501 fitting. They were not anything fancy. Think I paid like 8.00 bucks for the 5. My question is this. What is the best way to clean these. I have seen different videos on some people using vinegar and baking soda, but I think that was on an atomizer and did not have to deal with the polyfill. With this polyfill in the tube what would be the best way to clean. I would like to make them last as long as possible. Do not want to end up spending alot of money just on cartomizers. I really don't know how long they should last. I am making sure I do not run them dry. Thanks in advance for the advice.

tobarger

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 28, 2010
NorthCoastOhio
You are so right Flyer, it is definitely not worth the effort
For all practical purposes cartomizers can not be cleaned
Even if you could effectively clean them, they would take a very long time to dry out
Good thing they only cost about $1.50
Assign only one juice to each cartomizer and vape until it tastes like crap, then throw it away
You got to have a system

Atomizers on the other hand can be cleaned quite nicely with alcohol

Last edited:

Vandelay

Jul 3, 2012
New Mexico
I use eGo cartomizers; the big XL ones that cost about US$3 each.
I live at 7000ft elevation and things dry out real quick up here (famously, chili peppers; drying out before they have a chance to rot)
I pour distilled water into the open end of a yucky used cartomizer, blow it out, then repeat about five or six times.
Then I sit the cartomizer out in the open air for a few days; it does dry out.
There is the faintest off-taste of what was in there before, but filling/saturating with a new strong flavored e-liquid soon over-powers that (like, you wouldn't want to wash out cinnamon to refill with something mild like cheesecake; you would want to do it the other way around)
Use distilled water because it leaves zero mineral deposits which can vape an off-taste.
I found that using vodka leaves behind a not-so-pleasant after-taste from whatever the vodka was distilled from.
If you're in a humid muggy place then drying out will become an issue.

Phil McRotch

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2010
Carson, CA
For the life of me, I can't clean a carto and ever get a fresh taste. After filling it, I'll get maybe about a good 15 hits of a clean carto..then after that, it starts to get a burnt taste....THAT NEVER LEAVES. Cleaning again, resulted in the same. I'm now leaning towards just stocking up on new cartos and chucking old ones.

Bullette the Cowdog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2012
Treasure Coast, FL
I've never cleaned a carto. A cartomizer costs about $1.25 each & last me a week. Then I toss it in the trash & fill up a new one. I have better things to do with my time than cleaning a carto...Such as hanging out at ECF & vaping & posting. LOL
Bullette says woof!

PS love my Boges & Smoketech cartos. No tanks. Just straight cartos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread