Status
Not open for further replies.

k3vin

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2010
OK USA
www.vaperstek.org
Ok I did the boil method as posted on page one of this thread.
And being one who has used PGA ever since I have been cleaning Attys, the boiling method worked better than even PGA.
After the first 5 min boil I had black particles in the bottom of the pan.by the time I got done with the whole thing the coils, while not silver pristine color did not have any trash on them and the wicks were white as snow minus a slight discoloring on a few of the Attys right by the coil on some months old Attys.

I have one io6 Dca which is my pride and joy and the resistance had been going up on it even after my usual PGA cleanings, after the boiling method, I added some juice to it and it ohmed out at 1.8 exactly as it was when recieved.

I will not be going back to PGA.

One note, I did not blow the excess water out before putting in oven and some of my wicks were still damp a bit so I am letting them finish drying out.

But all in all this has worked excellent.

Mylt1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 22, 2011
Virginia
FYI, i have been using apple cider vinegar to clean my attys. i have a syringe than has some funky adapter thing on it and attys/cartos fit on it nice and tight. i run the vinegar through them several times and then use HOT water to rinse. there is NO after taste or even a hint of vinegar smell when i am done. i allow them to air dry and they are GTG.

k3vin

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2010
OK USA
www.vaperstek.org
Almost to forgot to add that I used distilled water for the boiling water in the pan.

I'm a little scared to throw In my hh357's but I shall try one tomorrow.they look really good other than some alight discoloring of the wick where it goes into the coil. And maybe if I get brave enough , wash/ wipe the coil down with diluted macid and run it across the coils with an qtip..

KonaNeil

ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2009
Big Island, Hawaii
I think I mentioned the following somewhere else but it seems appropriate here:

At least for Ego-T and Ego-C tank atomizers, I've found success with a method I call AlcoBoil. After blowing on the atomizer into a tissue and blotting all surfaces, I fill the tank cartridge with Everclear and run a current from the battery for 10 seconds, several times, shaking between boils. If I'm using a variable voltage device, I'll start around 3.5v and do the final boil at around 6V. The alcohol in the tank usually ends up a light tan color. I keep expecting this to pop a coil but it hasn't yet done so. When I couldn't get Everclear, vodka worked nearly as well.

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
I've found success with a method I call AlcoBoil.

doh.gif
Why didn't I thunk o' dat?

GuinnessBrilliant.jpg

paddymx

ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2012
Asheboro,NC
First let me say THANKS for the all the input.

Here is what I've decided.

While cleaning(w/91%) the glue from the outside of carto's after they started to peel ,mentioned above, after soaking. Besides having a strong odor, I noticed I got dizzy almost immediately!! So, I did a little test. Poured a shot of Everclear (ethanol) inhaled the fumes. Not only did it not have any way near the odor of isopropanol, I had to over do it to even feel like I might get a buzz. Did NOT GET DIZZY !!!

Facts:

"Rubbing alcohol, USP / B.P. is a liquid prepared and used primarily for topical application. It is prepared from a special denatured alcohol solution and contains approximately 70*(* I think includes 91% IMO) percent by volume of pure, concentrated ethanol (ethyl alcohol) or isopropyl alcohol (isopropanol)."

"USP establishes written (documentary) and physical (reference) standards for medicines, food ingredients, dietary supplement products and ingredients. These standards are used by regulatory agencies and manufacturers to help to ensure that these products are of the appropriate identity, as well as strength, quality, purity, and consistency."

"Denatured alcohol or methylated spirits is ethanol that has additives to make it inedible (poisonous), to prevent human consumption. In some cases it is also dyed.

Everclear , Neutral grain spirit (also called pure grain alcohol (PGA) or grain neutral spirit (GNS)) is a clear, colorless, flammable liquid that has been distilled from a grain-based mash to a very high level of ethanol content."

Given I got dizzy, I think "... make it inedible (poisonous), to prevent human consumption..." is the reason. Consumption is consumption regardless if its aromatic or ingested.

"USP establishes written (documentary) and physical (reference) standards for medicines, food ingredients, dietary supplement products and ingredients. These standards are used by regulatory agencies and manufacturers to help to ensure that these products are of the appropriate identity, as well as strength, quality, purity, and consistency."

Conclusion:

Even if the isopropanol is "USP" that dos not mean it is safe for consumption. It just means it is what it says it is. In this case a topical product.

Therefore :

"~Shado~

I use a very simple approach...if I wont put it in my mouth/consume it....then it WILL not go into any of my gear for cleaning purposes.

So...only water or Vodka or PGA for me....as with all things..YMMV "

I will be using the HOT water(micro waved) flush and repeat then flush with Everclear to remove as much moisture as possible. All is not lost though, as I had some orange juice that was about to expire, had a screwdriver.

:p

Last edited:

bigpman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
First let me say THANKS for the all the input.

Here is what I've decided.

While cleaning(w/91%) the glue from the outside of carto's after they started to peel ,mentioned above, after soaking. Besides having a strong odor, I noticed I got dizzy almost immediately!! So, I did a little test. Poured a shot of Everclear (ethanol) inhaled the fumes. Not only did it not have any way near the odor of isopropanol, I had to over do it to even feel like I might get a buzz. Did NOT GET DIZZY !!!

Facts:

"Rubbing alcohol, USP / B.P. is a liquid prepared and used primarily for topical application. It is prepared from a special denatured alcohol solution and contains approximately 70*(* I think includes 91% IMO) percent by volume of pure, concentrated ethanol (ethyl alcohol) or isopropyl alcohol (isopropanol)."

"Denatured alcohol or methylated spirits is ethanol that has additives to make it inedible (poisonous), to prevent human consumption. In some cases it is also dyed.

Everclear , Neutral grain spirit (also called pure grain alcohol (PGA) or grain neutral spirit (GNS)) is a clear, colorless, flammable liquid that has been distilled from a grain-based mash to a very high level of ethanol content."

Given I got dizzy, I think "... make it inedible (poisonous), to prevent human consumption..." is the reason. Consumption is consumption regardless if its aromatic or ingested.

Conclusion:

Even if the isopropanol is "USP" that dos not mean it is safe for consumption. It just means it is what it says it is. In this case a topical product.

Therefore :

"~Shado~

I use a very simple approach...if I wont put it in my mouth/consume it....then it WILL not go into any of my gear for cleaning purposes.

So...only water or Vodka or PGA for me....as with all things..YMMV "

I will be using the HOT water(micro waved) flush and repeat then flush with Everclear to remove as much moisture as possible. All is not lost though, as I had some orange juice that was about to expire, had a screwdriver.

:p

Always good to make your own judgement with the help of knowledge. Cheers on the screwdriver:toast:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread