Clapton coil resistance goes up on first fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich2681

Apr 5, 2018
Hey Guys,

Okay so I am new to wrapping my own coils. I have an Innokin mvp4 regulated mod and a new Geekvape Zeus RTA. I bought some geekvape N80 fused clapton wire and am using that on a 3mm screwdriver to wrap my coils. My first coil wrap is a 3mm ID and 5 wraps.
My question is when I inserted the coil into the deck it first read 0.11 ohms. I fired up my mod on 28 watts to pulse the coil and clean up hotspots and get the coil firing nicely. After firing a couple of times and getting the coil to heat up evenly the resistance when up to 0.23 ohms. It seems to be somewhat stable now at 0.23.but sometimes goes up to 0.24 then back down to 0.23 ohms.

Is this normal?

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hey Guys,

Okay so I am new to wrapping my own coils. I have an Innokin mvp4 regulated mod and a new Geekvape Zeus RTA. I bought some geekvape N80 fused clapton wire and am using that on a 3mm screwdriver to wrap my coils. My first coil wrap is a 3mm ID and 5 wraps.
My question is when I inserted the coil into the deck it first read 0.11 ohms. I fired up my mod on 28 watts to pulse the coil and clean up hotspots and get the coil firing nicely. After firing a couple of times and getting the coil to heat up evenly the resistance when up to 0.23 ohms. It seems to be somewhat stable now at 0.23.but sometimes goes up to 0.24 then back down to 0.23 ohms.

Is this normal?
Hi Richard,
Re-tighten your grub/screws after the "pulse".
Do you have another device to check resistance or only the Innokin mod?

Cheers
I

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Hi Richard,

Cheers
I
Certainly can’t hurt and is good general practice to do. Mods and even most standard ohm testers generally aren’t actually accurate to .01 ohm though even though they purport to measure it so it’s most likely stable I think

Rich2681

Apr 5, 2018
Hi Richard,
Cheers
I
Hi Izan,
I have a multimeter but its old an inaccurate so I use my mod since its regulated. I didn't tighten the screws again but I will. It seems to be holding steady now at 0.23ohms. I'm also not sure i'm using enough power. I've got it set at 40watts but not sure I want to go too much higher than that.

Reactions: stols001

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Hi Izan,
I have a multimeter but its old an inaccurate so I use my mod since its regulated. I didn't tighten the screws again but I will. It seems to be holding steady now at 0.23ohms. I'm also not sure i'm using enough power. I've got it set at 40watts but not sure I want to go too much higher than that.
Multimeter won’t help. They aren’t really any better even in good condition. As to the power one generally wants the lower end of what works rather than the higher end. Makes for longer wick and battery life. Me I’m running a .25ohm 8x28ga twisted coil @ 30w atm

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hi Izan,
R,
If it is stable...it's stable!
I think 40w is a good start. You may notice less popping with a few more watts.
If wicking keeps up, you might be able to push up to 55W or 60W.
Go slow and increase power, if needed, a few watts at a time.

cheers
I

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
Sounds like your initial fire up went as intended and eliminated hots pots (shorts). The initial firing of new wire will create an oxide layer on surface of the wire, this layer helps guard against hot spots (shorts). A short is when bare wires are touching and shorten the intended electrical path resulting in a lower resistance reading. Once the shorts (hot spots) are eliminated the device can/will measure the coil's actual resistance.

This oxide layer can also effect the coil's connection points (posts/screws) so it's always a good idea to check them after the initial firing.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Yes your resistance doesn't sound terrible to me, and as others have said, still a good idea to check the deck after you've fired... All legs are snipped tightly and evenly and no movement in the coil. I wouldn't think that a 0.1 change in resistance is likely significant at all, but that's good practice for installing a coil-- testfire etc., check all parts of the build, and then proceed with rewicking. There are I guess a ton of variables that can cause resistance change (some of which I didn't know until now) but that sort of change is well within the realm of normal.

Happy vaping!

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread