carto tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSnakeGeek

Sep 6, 2013
after spending nearly an hour trying to figure out how to post on this forum, here's my question. lol i'm not new to forums in general and i know how to use the "search function," so please don't light my .... on fire. lol this forum is so active i couldnt find anything because everything i searched for came up with posts within the last week or so.

i just bought a provari yesterday. waiting for it to come in the mail. bought an IBTanked tank too. for the past 6 months or so i've been using a vision spinner (vv) and a kanger protank, and it's been awesome for me. after a lot of research, i've seen that a lot of people use carto tanks. i like the carto tanks because there seems to be a good selection and the carto tanks seem to be the most visually appealing (there are a lot to choose from).

my question is, what are the advantages of carto tanks vs bottom feeding clearomizers like the protank? is the flavor REALLY better? is the vapor production or hits really better? or do people like them just because they can get such better looking tanks? and will the provari REALLY provide me a better vaping experience since my vision spinner was already VV? because with my Spinner, if i turned it up more than 4.5 volts, the hits tasted funny to me anyways?

any advice is MUCH appreciated. trust me, i tried using the search function, but with how active this forum is, i couldnt find much

thank you!
TheSnakeGeek

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
my question is, what are the advantages of carto tanks vs bottom feeding clearomizers like the protank?
I use 3V side fill tanks... so, functionally, the first advantage is ease of fill and refill.
2nd advantage is polypro or pyrex tanks.
3rd is ease of maintenance.
4th is ease of coil (carto) replacement.
Any of the above individually can be overcome with the right clearo or glasso, but I don't think there are any yet that have all the functional advantages of a side or top screw fill-able carto tank... at the same time.

is the flavor REALLY better?
I believe it to be... but you need more respondents than a single sample. IMO, Side by side against any BCC clearo, a protank or davide, yes. Against (specifically) an iClear 16 or 30... it's close, but until they do a polypro or pyrex iClear, the carto tank has the edge.

is the vapor production or hits really better?
Mmmm... depends on the clearo/glasso I suppose, as well as the juice. Realistically, too many variables.

or do people like them just because they can get such better looking tanks?
I'm sure there are plenty of folks that are into the CT cool factor, but then again, plenty of clearos that look cool too.

and will the provari REALLY provide me a better vaping experience since my vision spinner was already VV?
The ability to tune your voltage to the resistance and juice type... absolutely. Any VV or VV-VW mod will provide the potential for a better vaping experience, if you know how to use it.

because with my Spinner, if i turned it up more than 4.5 volts, the hits tasted funny to me anyways?
I can't account for your, or any other individuals, depth of knowledge, understanding or what constitutes a "tastes funny" perception.

any advice is MUCH appreciated. trust me, i tried using the search function, but with how active this forum is, i couldnt find much

thank you!
TheSnakeGeek
Sure... enjoy the show. ;-)

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
Forgot to mention... go visit Baditude's blog. Everything you ever wanted to know about carto tanks and cartos in one, handy dandy place. Your depth of carto tank knowledge will be increased dramatically when you reach the end, and you'll have a handy future reference... for when your brain is too full of other stuff, like RDAs and RBAs. :blink:

OlDogNewTricks

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2013
Venice, FL
I have a Protank 2 on a Variable Voltage battery and it has been fine, but only fine. After a lot of reading/viewing, I decided to try 2 ohm Boge XL cartos with an F16 tank (just to try it out) and it is no less than incredible. Vapor, flavor, not 'fidgety', very easy to use, cartos seem to last substialtially longer than the Protank 2 heads do and they are about the same cost. If you are looking at something like a Cisco spec HH .357, you are talking about a lot more money and I am too cheap to buy them but people say that they are even better. JMHO. Hope this helps.

fourthrok

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
Watertown, NY
The Cisco Spec HH357 is a dripper atomizer. A very good one...but using it is completely different from a carto tank or a BCC type tank like the Protank. Personally, I prefer the carto tank for TH and vapor and flavor. It's not that I totally dislike the "clearomizer" type tanks...it's just that they are not my preference.

I like the drippers like the Cisco or the AMG Slant Coils for bottom feeders.

OlDogNewTricks

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2013
Venice, FL
The Cisco Spec HH357 is a dripper atomizer. A very good one...but using it is completely different from a carto tank or a BCC type tank like the Protank. Personally, I prefer the carto tank for TH and vapor and flavor. It's not that I totally dislike the "clearomizer" type tanks...it's just that they are not my preference.

I like the drippers like the Cisco or the AMG Slant Coils for bottom feeders.

I apologize, yes, I should have included that I've seen them in specialized tanks designed for that type.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
What are the advantages of carto tanks vs bottom feeding clearomizers like the protank?

All answers are subjective from my personal experience. Here you have two different juice delivery systems in the way that they feed juice to the heating coils. A clearomizer uses silicone string wicks to do this - a relatively small surface area compared to all the polyfill of a cartomizer. My feeling is the more surface area the more juice to the heating coil. Thus better flavor and more vapor production with a cartomizer.

You'll find responses of people preferring one style over the other, based on their experience. When I first began vaping a year and a half ago, the clearomizers were a joke. They leaked, were inconsistant, often were duds from the beginning, etc. I have used cartotanks from nearly the beginning and have found them to be just the opposite. In the last couple of months I've been using a couple of the more recent editions of clearomizers - the Kanger Protanks and Innokin iClear 30 - and I find that they have come a long way in quality and vape experience. Not quite up to par to a cartotank in flavor and consistancy, but very close.

Is the flavor REALLY better? Is the vapor production or hits really better or do people like them just because they can get such better looking tanks?

All of the above.

Will the Provari REALLY provide me a better vaping experience since my vision spinner was already VV? because with my Spinner, if i turned it up more than 4.5 volts, the hits tasted funny to me anyways?

Not surprising to me. I have a Provari (actually two) and never use voltages above 4.5 volts. I adjust the voltage to the flavor of juice I am using. Fruits around 3.5 - 3.8 volts. Other flavors like my coffee or tobacco 3.8 - 4.5 volts. The Provari just supplies power to the juice attachment like any other mod.

Having said that, you will find it to be the most predictably dependable, consistant, reliable, and durable mod you ever own. Not everyone can experience the difference, but the Provari's PWM fires at 800 hz. Nearly all of the Chinese made regulated mods fire at only 33 hz. Many attribute the Provari's "smoother vape experience" to the difference of the PWM. In addition, the Provari's patented Accuset Technology will constantly monitor your battery's voltage, and keep the voltage you set to the juice device from the beginning of the battery until the end within 1% accuracy. You've purchaced one of the all time best mods ever. Enjoy!

E-Cigarette Forum - Baditude - Blogs

Last edited:

BernieVideo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
NoHo El Lay CA
I have been vaping for only a litle over a month.
I started with a mini BCC and quickly wanted something "more". After reading this forum extensively, especially Batitudes blogs and posts, I tried a carto tank. BANG, WOW, The flavor, the vapor amount were so much better.

The only thing I can add to the above posts is that you do have to pay attention to the resistance (Ohms) of the cartos (or any atomizers) you choose. Higher Ohms demand higher voltage, lower Ohmed atomizers need less voltage.

There are dual coil cartos and single coils. I have been using double coil cartos and been very satified. On the suggestion of several carto gurus I ordered some Low Ohm Single coil cartos.

I just installed a Low Resistance Ikenvape carto, and while the first few hits were not as impressive as the dual coil cartos, it quickly warmed up and now I can't really tell the difference between the two.

Royce

Verified Member
my question is, what are the advantages of carto tanks vs bottom feeding clearomizers like the protank? is the flavor REALLY better? is the vapor production or hits really better? or do people like them just because they can get such better looking tanks? and will the provari REALLY provide me a better vaping experience since my vision spinner was already VV? because with my Spinner, if i turned it up more than 4.5 volts, the hits tasted funny to me anyways?

TheSnakeGeek

I feel the exact opposite I think the bottom feeding tanks / clearomizers like the protank provide better flavor and vapor production.
Yes in my opinion the provari will be a better experience than the spinner the battery will last longer you can test the OHMs with the device to get a good idea of where to start as far as voltage goes and you are able to fine tune the experience better than you can with a spinner. I use a protank on my provari and have since sold or given away all of my carto style tanks if that helps at all

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
ok, so one more noobish question i figured i might as well ask here instead of starting a new thread.. i thought ego batteries had 510 threading..? why do i keep seeing people talk about an "ego to 510 thread adapter"?
They do.

ego-510-thread.jpg

Pstarsr

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2013
Santa Barbara, California
ok, so one more noobish question i figured i might as well ask here instead of starting a new thread.. i thought ego batteries had 510 threading..? why do i keep seeing people talk about an "ego to 510 thread adapter"?

They do, you might be reading that wrong. Probably 510 to ego adapter. Quick google search showed a few mostly they are worded wrong or backwards. It's for 510 to ego adapting. But I'm not 100% sure of all the adapters and reasons. I just know my ego batteries have both

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Which doesn't work 50% of the time

cocacola31173

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2012
United States
Once you get the hang of priming it without flooding it carto tanks are wonderful! Its like having a freshly filled carto with every vape. I have 4 carto tanks, 2 protank 2 and a Davide. I have some flavors that taste better in a carto tank and some that taste good in my Protanks.

And I keep some Evods around for my non cracking juices. They are perfect for sweet flavors that I just want a little of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread