CA vote STILL GOING!! - action needed NOW by 5/23/14!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Is there a link to the news? I can't find anything right now.

Nothing official yet.

Bill Text - AB-1500 Electronic cigarettes.

This is all we know so far...

Edit: Clarifying!!! Just realized that this did not pass Appropriations Committee so congrats to all involved. Was not clear to me on the roll call, but is now.

I listened to the roll call, but hard to hear the exact ayes and noes. Ranking Republican did say he would not support the bill and asked all other Repubs to do the same. Seemed like many abstained. I definitely heard at least 4 or 5 ayes and 1 definitive no, but will need to get the update from website for definitive votes.

sonicdsl

Wandering life's highway
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2011
Updated CTA from CASAA on this issue!

From Julie Woessner, CASAA President:

And . . . we've updated California again. AB 1500 is not dead, and the sponsor has asked that the matter be reconsidered . . . he has until Friday to do that, and all he needs is to get 3 additional votes to get it out of committee.

It is URGENT that California folks make phone calls and send faxes now through Friday, May 23rd, 2014 (last day it can move out of committee).

See the California Call to Action for details:

CASAA: Call to Action! California Ban on Internet Sales (AB 1500) and Ban on E-Cigarette Usage (SB 648)

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
And more on the subject:

Assembly Appropriations Committee - May 21st, 2014

Video of today.

Latest update, Dickinson is trying to win more votes after the "uncalled" and we had already left. He's trying very hard but... his second attempt is clear, "6-1 that bill fails, Mr. Dickinson asks for a reconsideration".

We need everyone to call the committee and keep hammering them since he only has 1 day to get his majority vote. So far he's failing at getting that but he is persistent. He is continuing to try!

Updated CTA with phone numbers moved to the top:

CASAA: Call to Action! California Ban on Internet Sales (AB 1500) and Ban on E-Cigarette Usage (SB 648)

Unfortunately I can't make out the votes and names from the video and we don't know who voted in what way exactly at this point so it's difficult to come up with a list of who to hammer tomorrow morning ASAP.

Please make those phone calls, peeps! Please!

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Cheerleading from the East Coast...

Hey, Aubs! Get on the phone and call them, please! Please tell them you won't be buying anything from CA vendors if this idiotic bill passes because you don't want the hassle, you don't want to disclose any more personal information than you already do while shopping online (online fraud anyone?) and the cost and that you really can't always be home when the bloody package just happens to arrive.

Anyone can call or fax--even out-of-staters!

We need help... :cry:

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
Hey, Aubs! Get on the phone and call them, please! Please tell them you won't be buying anything from CA vendors if this idiotic bill passes because you don't want the hassle, you don't want to disclose any more personal information than you already do while shopping online (online fraud anyone?) and the cost and that you really can't always be home when the bloody package just happens to arrive.

Anyone can call or fax--even out-of-staters!

We need help... :cry:

I wasn't aware that I could cal! I will now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I wasn't aware that I could cal! I will now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, yes, yes! per Bll G--this is the Appropriations Committee, they mostly care about the economic impact on the state, anyway! We need to let them know that nobody in their right mind will do business with CA vendors if this things passes. Why would they? Heck, I live here and I won't be buying from local vendors. I'll have to pay sales tax, have my age verified, be at home to sign for the package and pay I don't know how much more extra for shipping and sig. verification. :facepalm:

Thank Mr.Mann. :wub:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Just listened to the replay and here is what I heard:

Ayes: Gatto (Chair), Eggman, Holden, Pan, Quirk, Weber (All Democrats)
No: Ridley-Thomas (Democrat)

Bigelow-R (Vice Chair) helped squash this and seemed to get the issues better than most. Seems like a potential ally.

All others either abstained or were not present. Here is list of committee members:
Members | Committee on Appropriations

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
Yes, yes, yes! per Bll G--this is the Appropriations Committee, they mostly care about the economic impact on the state, anyway! We need to let them know that nobody in their right mind will do business with CA vendors if this things passes. Why would they? Heck, I live here and I won't be buying from local vendors. I'll have to pay sales tax, have my age verified, be at home to sign for the package and pay I don't know how much more extra for shipping and sig. verification. :facepalm:

Thank Mr.Mann. :wub:

My wife was born and raised in Cali, and I have a ton of family (and friends out there). Hell, I am on my way back to Cali in June so I will speak on my trip. I will let them know that come June, I will either keep my wallet in my pocket or bring it out based on this. Will it matter to them? Maybe not, but if it follows a slew of other calls I imagine it will.

Last edited:

Endor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southern California
One of the assembly members who sits on this committee is for my district, and abstained. I just shot him an email on his web page thanking him for abstaining, but asking him to vote NO when this comes back up tomorrow.

Probably ...... in the wind, as he's a democrat, but can't just sit on my hands. Need NO votes so this thing dies.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Looks like it's dead--for now! :D

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread