Best source for high quality VG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Equality 7-2521

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2013
oakland ca.
After vaping for a couple of years, I've finally decided to make the foray into DIY juice making.I wanted to ask...what is the best source for high quality VG....not the cheapest , but the highest quality.Who do you buy from.
I am concerned about not buying VG that is a by product of biodisle manufacturing

is there a diffrence in taste and quality of vapor between palm VG, and soy Vg.

also a juice maker told me that the thick VG is usually an inferior grade of VG, and that the premium grades of VG had a thinner viscosity....is this true.

thanks all.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
A quick google tells me two things: one, that most vg is palm, which is having a negative impact on tropical forests, and two, that there is no info listed where I buy mine as to what it's made of.

It's all made the same way, no matter the source. I can't see one having a thinner viscosity, or why that should make me think it would be better. It's thick. Seems the nature of the beast.

Just be certain it's not simply food grade, but pharmaceutical grade as well. There's a sticky that goes into the details.

StoneFree

Verified Member
Jun 10, 2014
PanamaCityBeach,Fl
A quick google tells me two things: one, that most vg is palm, which is having a negative impact on tropical forests, and two, that there is no info listed where I buy mine as to what it's made of.

It's all made the same way, no matter the source. I can't see one having a thinner viscosity, or why that should make me think it would be better. It's thick. Seems the nature of the beast.

Just be certain it's not simply food grade, but pharmaceutical grade as well. There's a sticky that goes into the details.

Hey can you tell me where you got the info that palm based vg is destroying tropical forest? I dont want to take part in that if its really happening. I mean its hard to believe that vaping vg is destroying tropical forest. In other words if 1% or less of all VG used in the world is for vaping then how can we stop companies that use VG for other things from using it? How much market share does vaping business have on the VG market? If its alot then I will probably stop vaping palm VG and I''ll let people know. If its a minuscule amount of the market then I will keep puffing away without worrying that Im a big part of the destruction of rain forest. My bet is that the vaping business acounts for 1/1000 of 1 percent of the VG market.

Last edited:

Equality 7-2521

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2013
oakland ca.
Some palm is harvested from plantaions...palm tree farms and have no adverse effect on the tropical forest,some vg is made from soy, which can or can not be GMO. and some Vg is made as a byproduct of biodesile manufacturing and can have contaminants in it..

we2rcool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Iowa, IA, USA
Here what we now use - it's pharmaceutical/USP and certified organic (and comes with a current chemical analysis): Jedwards International, Inc.. bulk organic vegetable glycerin

We phoned to find out the source of the organic oil used - it was organic soy. But I was told to check, as they sometimes will change suppliers depending upon availability and quality.

We were extremely impressed with the customer service and other organics we purchased. Everything had a current CoA and the packaging & products were all fantastic.

Equality 7-2521

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2013
oakland ca.
it says their vg come from India.....I'd prefer a U.S. manufacture.
Here what we now use - it's pharmaceutical/USP and certified organic (and comes with a current chemical analysis): Jedwards International, Inc.. bulk organic vegetable glycerin

We phoned to find out the source of the organic oil used - it was organic soy. But I was told to check, as they sometimes will change suppliers depending upon availability and quality.

We were extremely impressed with the customer service and other organics we purchased. Everything had a current CoA and the packaging & products were all fantastic.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Not sure how true this is. Just something I came across doing some research on Humco.

That is true. All Glycerin USP ( U.S. Pharmacopeia ) is made be one company HUMCO and it is made to strict standards. Here is some text i found on ECF:

"I'm a pharmacist in PA. I'm going to copy and paste a post I wrote in another subforum:

Go to the skin care aisle of most any pharmacy and you'll find a small(usually 6oz) bottle labled Glycerine, USP(Some pharmacies don't carry outright , but will special order for you). The label may have it listed as CVS Glycerine, USP or Rite Aid Glycerine, USP or Humco Glycerine, USP or Family Pharmacy Glycerine, USP etc.. you get my point. Whatever it's labeled, it's Glycerine, USP 99.5% anhydrous(meaning 0.5% water). It will cost anywhere from $3 to $6 for 6oz.(CHEAP) This is vegetable glycerine, absolutely, positively, no doubt. How do I know this? I'm a pharmacist. All OTC glycerine,USP is made by 1 single manufacturer, HUMCO. It is then contract packaged into the different pharmacy labeled bottles. I've personally called HUMCO and spoke with their QA(quality assurance) person. He assured me that HUMCO's Glycerine is in fact Vegetable source Glycerine. The reason it's labeled Glycerine and not Vegetable Glycerine is because #1 it is listed in the USP as Glycerine, USP and therefore(in order to keep the USP certification) must be labeled as it's listed in the USP. #2 it would cause confusion as Glycerine is Glycerine(regardless of the source - chemically 1,2,3-propane triol), to add the moniker VEGETABLE, makes it sound like it's two different and distinct products, it isn't. Also, USP grade Glycerine is the purest you can get. Food Grade "vegetable Glycerine" you get in health food store saying 99.9% is BS. Since they do not have to meet any standard(such as USP standards) they could say anything, they could say 10000% pure. If you get USP grade, you know you are getting exactly what is labeled(within allowable USP limits) and it is made to most stringent requirements available in the US. (i.e. USP stands for United States Pharmacopeia- drugs have meet higher standards then foods do). Kashrut(kosher) laws are Jewish religious dietary laws having to do with the preparation of food products and really have nothing to do with the labeled purity of the product. Also, Kashrut(kosher) laws are jurisdictional(handled differently in different places). In some cases a rabbi must come to the manufacturer and verify processes and equipment conform to kosher law and in some places it's enough that the manufacturer says or thinks he is conforming to the kosher laws. In any case USP and Kosher are 2 different things. There is no such listing in the USP for "Kosher Glycerine". To the people who are feeling naseous using pharmacy bought Glycerine, USP, it may be a placebo effect(thinking your not using the real VG) or you may have a sensitivity to Glycerine(unlikely). But it is not because the Pharmacy bought Glycerine,USP is inferior or NOT Vegetable Glycerine."

http://www.reddit.com/r/electronic_c...mixing_thread/

Last edited:

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
RTSVapes' VG is sourced from coconut. I believe it's the only one of the large sellers' VG that is.

Thanks for that Head. although if they do they don't mention it anywhere i could find.but i'll ask them.

The owner posted the info right here in his thread at ECF.

It is because our PG and VG are superior and both Kosher certified. We need to come clean on our website and admitt our VG is not `us `sourced. All US VG is made from soybeans in the only US factory that makes VG in the USA near Chicago. Our VG is made from coconuts. We have many customers that only buy 30 to 60 gallons at a time of our VG.

Crunktanium

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2013
Florida (east coast)

Deforesting is happening but the vaping industry itself is not fueling it even the least bit. In fact Palm oil is farmed for the most part so be glad it's being harvested rather then burned. Must of the actual deforestation is happening to meet the ever growing demand for wood and paper pulp.

But cooking, soap, biodiesel and makeup are the biggest uses for palm oil. It's used in so many food products the next time you eat cake, bread, popcorn, candy bars, ice cream or even an oreo cookie think about all those poor palms. I also doubt you avoid all products in cardboard or paper packaging since 90% of the products out there are packaged in some percentage of paper which contributes to deforestation.

Yiorgo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Chicago, Illinois

StoneFree

Verified Member
Jun 10, 2014
PanamaCityBeach,Fl
If given a choice I sure would take the coconut. Soy is very GMO now.....

I know I would rather have VG from Mars instead of vaping GMO soy from the USA. People please do not eat or vape GMO (genetically modified organism). The Super Massive Company that leads the world in GMO seeds, plants, etc... is the biggest enemy of the planet earth. Don't believe the hype, do some research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread