Bench Test Results: Epoch P45B - 45A 4500mAh 21700

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    These tests below only note my personal ESTIMATED ratings for the batteries I tested at the time I tested them. Any battery that is not a genuine Samsung, Sony, Murata, LG, Panasonic, Molicel, or Sanyo can change at any time! This can be one of the hazards of using “rewrapped” or batteries from other manufacturers so carefully research any battery you are considering using before purchasing.

Misusing or mishandling lithium-ion batteries can pose a SERIOUS RISK of property damage, personal injury, or even death. Never use them outside of a fully protected battery pack and you use them at your own risk. Never exceed the battery’s true continuous discharge rating (CDR), never let it get colder than 0°C or hotter than 60°C, and keep the plastic wrap and top insulating ring in perfect condition. Never use a battery that is physically damaged in any way.

Testing batteries at their limits is dangerous and should never be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved, understands the risks, has the proper equipment, and takes all appropriate safety precautions.

If the battery has only one current rating number, or if it only says "max", then I have to assume the battery is rated at that current level for any type of discharge, including continuous.

52871BFC-4D72-40F6-B38A-3B5DDCA3F064.jpeg CECFDC25-A7CC-44B6-9E9A-AA8C88F518BA.jpeg 71D985FF-F6F5-4DEF-9A6D-7B5D466EB4E5.jpeg

Test Results
    I cannot guarantee that this cell is a Molicel P45B rewrap but due to its appearance, performance, and some other info I cannot discuss, in my opinion this is a rewrap of the Molicel P45B. It is the all-around best performing round cell we can buy.

At about 20A and lower this cell performed just a little worse than the Molicel P45B’s I tested earlier but they are essentially the same at above about 25A. In my opinion you won’t see any difference in actual use.

The Epoch’s delivered 4482mAh and 4525mAh. The Molicel P45B’s typical rating is 4500mAh so one cell didn’t quite make it but both Epoch’s easily exceeded the 4300mAh minimum rating. This might be due to them being pre-production samples and not fully tweaked yet since the date code is for 2021. The Molicel P45B’s I tested also were under 4500mAh.

The 45A rating of these Epoch cells is not a true continuous rating IMO. The Molicel is rated at 45A in the preliminary one-page datasheet but that rating is temperature-limited to 80°C. When the cell gets that hot you must stop. Since this Epoch would go over 80°C at between 35A-40A continuous you must stop the discharge early.

So while technically the 45A rating for these Epoch’s is accurate I am disappointed that there is no mention on the wrap that it’s not a true continuous current rating (which can be used to compare against other cells). Most applications will never run this cell continuously at such high power levels but I believe strongly in accurate, consistently set ratings. 18650BatteryStore contacted me though and said that the wrap will be changed to add a continuous current rating and list the 45A rating as temperature-limited. This is great news!

Since the Epoch 45B reaches about 85°C at 40A (down to 2.5V) I will be giving it a an estimated 35A continuous and a 45A temperature-limited rating (stay under 80°C).

This cell is double-wrapped, a good thing for durability, but Molicels are already a little bit larger than most other cells. That can make this Epoch a tight fit in some devices. I recommend testing their size before committing to a large purchase if other cells are already a snug fit.

18650 Ratings and E-Scores Table:

20700/21700 Ratings and E-Scores Table:

Continuous Current Discharge Graphs
    6E7C7A00-1636-4911-A180-8D3B691936AE.jpeg

Ratings and Performance Specs Graphic
    F77DD3B7-EEAA-4B27-ACCE-77962746C200.jpeg

I want to work for the community full time! If you feel what I do is worth a couple dollars a month and you would like early access to battery availability, battery testing and news, and a say in what I test, then please consider becoming a patron and supporting my testing efforts: Battery Mooch | creating battery and device tests | Patreon.

To see how other cells have tested check out this link: Links To All 21700, 26650, 18350, 18500 Battery Tests

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread