Battle of the mods: Electrical v Mechanical

Status
Not open for further replies.

JrdUK

Moved On
Jun 6, 2009
UK
smoking20.info
Most of us our buying our batteries from china anyways so they are unreliable to an extent

Why does the fact that they are manufactured in China make them more unreliable than if they were manufactured elsewhere? :nah:

How come so many people have this idea that if it was made in another country that they would make it to a higher standard?

Last edited:

Crash

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2009
Karachi, Pakistan
Why does the fact that they are manufactured in China make them more unreliable than if they were manufactured elsewhere? :nah:

How come so many people have this idea that if it was made in another country that they would make it to a higher standard?

Personally I don't really care where they are made, the thing is you get what you pay for, when you buy cheap batteries of DX you get cheap quality, if you go buy higher quality batteries from DX or else where, they're still made in China the majority of the time but will just be a higher quality, because liked I said you get what you pay for. :)

Porphy

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2009
Lancaster, CA
www.AVEJuice.com
Living in Asia for quite some time now has given me some insight into this. As a generalization it's not altogether false. From living in S. Korea I have been witness to the Korean crafting process in action and the standard in craftsmanship here is much lower than in my home country, the U.S..

Every appliance I have bought that was manufactured in S. Korea has been way below par on performance and longevity in comparison to U.S. bought items, so much in fact that ordering from the U.S. and having it shipped here for twice as much ends up saving me money in the long term.

To give an example I'll use fans. If I buy a fan here I can rest assured that if I leave it on constantly for a week that by the end of said week the motor will have died. This is not an assumption as I have had it happen numerous times, each time paying again for another fan. After spending about 150,000 won on fans (roughly 130 dollars) in 3 months, I decided to buy a fan from the states and have it shipped here. I paid 70 dollars for a "hurricane" fan and 40 bucks for an electrical socket up/down converter and roughly 40 dollars in shipping... that was 3 years ago and the fan and converter still work really well.

There just isn't as much emphasis on the quality control process in countries here as there are in "western" countries. As an example of this I'll use the Whisen brand. I ordered an air conditioning unit from them 2 years ago, I even paid for "custom installation". The gentlemen came to install my new air con and I was over joyed (had been in 90+ summer heat for over 3 weeks). They did a great job mounting the unit, installing the outside box and affixing the tubing, however, when it came to getting the tubing from the inside unit to the outside unit they did something so lazy that it was shocking.

The guys chipped out a corner of my window and ran the line through the small hole they had made... and cracked my window in the process. They then asked me for a spare sock and "insulated" the remaining hole with it! I was dumbfounded.

I called Whisen's customer service line and was informed this was "ok" and tended to be standard operating procedure as drilling through the concrete (which was in-line with the unit) would have taken too much time. 8-o Thank heavens I was informed of this prior to my internet being installed. When the man did the same thing for my internet line I was prepared with the matching sock from the hole in the other window.

Since then I've seen professionals measure with chopsticks, use folded newspaper stuffed on an "L" bracket to "level" a shelf, and even cut off a section of door jamb to make a new door fit... trust me it was ghetto fabulous.

Craftsmanship and quality control just isn't as much of a priority here from my experience. So if given the option of buying from Asia or a western country I'll choose the western country every time if it's a product I need to last.

Last edited:

googled

ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2009
ukvapers.com

Because that is often the case but with higher standards come higher prices. The recent problems with baby milk and lead paint don't help Chinese QC reputations either.

surbitonPete

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
North Yorkshire UK
British manufacturing quality was always pretty bad but now that we have adopted the Japanese quality control methods our standards are very high. I think any large manufacturer in America has adopted the same kind of Japanese quality control methods these days too. If anything is produced using their methods it will be as good as quality can get. They really paved the way in how best to control and keep on improving the quality of manufacture. My Honda car was made in china but they would have had to make it using the Japanese standards and methods of quality control and the best thing about it is the continuous improvement philosophy.

Last edited:

vapn

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2009
UK
Hey thanks Crash for the information. That was a good video about devices and batteries. From the looks of it you have them all. At the end of the day, which device do you use the MOST> Which one do you find yourself picking up most often? I know you have a favorite by now. I only have two, the Prodigy and the Screwdriver. Both are what you term electrical, and I guess the only real mechanical one is the GG right? Is that just because of the custom switch mechanism? If I were to get another device it may very well be the GGT. Just for fun and it looks pretty cool.

Crash

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2009
Karachi, Pakistan
Hey thanks Crash for the information. That was a good video about devices and batteries. From the looks of it you have them all. At the end of the day, which device do you use the MOST> Which one do you find yourself picking up most often? I know you have a favorite by now. I only have two, the Prodigy and the Screwdriver. Both are what you term electrical, and I guess the only real mechanical one is the GG right? Is that just because of the custom switch mechanism? If I were to get another device it may very well be the GGT. Just for fun and it looks pretty cool.

The AR is mechanical as well. And honestly I don't think I can answer that questions about which one i prefer, since I tend to use them all from time to time. What I use just depends on my mood but I guess I can say this.

Color = Prodigy (I love the black finish)
Functionality = GG T I like the fact that you don't need to buy more sleeves for it to use different batteries.

Also the SD was the first mod I ever got so won't really be able to get away from that one, and the AR well I like that too since I know if anything goes wrong with it I can fix it myself, and the guy that makes them also has great customer service (thad)

Crash

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2009
Karachi, Pakistan
I would classify the AdapteveR as electrical because it uses an electrical button.

Yea I suppose you're right, I tend to classify anything that doesn't have any wires as mechanical, but then again you can't see any wires on the Prodigy either. So yes you're right just the GG and the Super T.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread