Status
Not open for further replies.

woofpuppy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Ohio
www.youtube.com
I just bought an iTaste MVP with a 2600mAh battery, way more power than I use in a day. (I'm on day 2 and the battery light is still showing green) This is the first device I've used that's not an 808, where the battery drains fairly quickly. Given that it still has so much charge, should I charge it overnight, every night, or let it run down and only charge it when the red light comes on? Which will give me better battery life? Thanks for any input!

woofpuppy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Ohio
www.youtube.com
Running the battery down in the red is a great way to extend the life of the battery. Why not buy another set of batteries and just rotate them out when they die?

The battery(ies) in the iTase MVP can't be removed and charged...it's a single contained unit. Otherwise I would certainly do that. It's too expensive to buy another of these boxes. I can just let it get almost drained and fall back on my 808s until it charges if that would be better.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Here is a good article on lengthening lion battery life. In a nutshell, charging before the battery is fully discharged is good for it. Have a look at the charts.

As for leaving a battery on charge overnight, I never do it. The reason is if the charger malfunctions and does not stop charging, the battery will eventually vent, burn and possibly explode. This also happens to lion batteries in cell phones, cordless phones, laptops and anywhere else they are used. Not worth it in my opinion.

stillnotsmoking

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2013
GA, USA
I was reading somewhere that if you charge a battery from half charge that counts as a 1/2 cycle rather than a full cycle, any truth to this? I have several MVPs now and was curious of this (albeit suspicious).

@OP: FWIW I get 3 days of vaping before mine hits the red, and i've never ran it down till it didn't fire. I usually try to charge once I'm in the yellow on the MVP, and with two MVPs in rotation i have to vape really hard to get them in the yellow, lol. Usually charge them once a week. Better to charge it before its fully dead, and I never leave anything (cellphone and laptop included) charging overnight or while I'm not at home.

Horselady154

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2013
United States
This is what the RC guys use for LiPo (I'm one of them)

Lithium Polymer Charge Pack 25x33cm JUMBO Sack

What do you have to say about this comment on the page that you linked?

I bought 2 and got my hands inside. Many small fibers (which I can't even see) got inside my hand. I washed my hands with soap while brushing my hands with a rug and hope things get better. I read CrashAce advise too late, but I think his suggestion is good. I suggest you not to buy it. I don't understand why after all these notes people wrote HobbyKing still sells this thing. HobbyKing: would be nice to have your comment.

I just read all of the comments over there and you couldn't pay me to use that product!!

Last edited:

BadLar

Verified Member
Apr 13, 2013
Calgary, AB, Canada
What do you have to say about this comment on the page that you linked?

Actually, I did not see the comments, I too would be a little concerned with that for charging batteries for PV's, for my RC stuff, it is not a concern as I don't put those batteries anywhere near my mouth. I can understand that the quality of that particular bag may not be up to snuff, I just wanted to throw the thought out there for anyone that is concerned about these batteries, that there is options out there to ensure a safe charging experience. I apologize if anyone thought that I was endorsing this particular LiPo charge bag.

BadLar

Last edited:

BadLar

Verified Member
Apr 13, 2013
Calgary, AB, Canada
I was reading somewhere that if you charge a battery from half charge that counts as a 1/2 cycle rather than a full cycle, any truth to this? I have several MVPs now and was curious of this (albeit suspicious).

From my understanding in the RC world, this is in fact true, as the battery chemistry changes the more the batteries are discharged. I have done a lot of reading on this, but in no way am I close to being an expert, I only know enough to be dangerous :) This is also why it it very important to use the correct chargers that are designed for these types of batteries, as charging at too high of a voltage or current (trying to charge them faster) can have negative effects on battery life, as well as risk of fire. FWIW, the general consensus in the RC world is that single cell LiPo and Lion batteries, (everything I have seen so far in connection with PV's), have little to no risk of causing a fire when charged with the appropriate chargers, it is generally the multicell ones that have these issues, usually after some physical damage.

BadLar

Thompson

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2012
North of NorCal
I just bought an iTaste MVP with a 2600mAh battery, way more power than I use in a day. (I'm on day 2 and the battery light is still showing green) This is the first device I've used that's not an 808, where the battery drains fairly quickly. Given that it still has so much charge, should I charge it overnight, every night, or let it run down and only charge it when the red light comes on? Which will give me better battery life? Thanks for any input!

With lithium ion it's best to charge before it reaches low. The less full cycles the battery experiences the long it should last.

I never charge while I'm not at home. Question for the experts though. I have an 18650 that has been great for the last 3 months and now the charger says that it's charged but it wont power any of my mods. Is this a defeective battery that needs to be disposed of now.

Thanks,

Chris

You should check it with a multimeter but it does sound like it may have died.

Faxed in on the Mojo Wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread