Batteries in BOTH parallel and series?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jc112704

ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2011
Mt Top, PA
I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions on how to connect 3 batteries together. My goal is to be able to switch between parallel and series. For example, lets name the batteries A,B, and C. Can I connect B to A in series and B to C in parallel, with a switch to toggle between the 2 configurations? Or will I need to use a fourth battery and just switch between 2 power setups? I intend to use digital camera batteries, and don't really want to use a fourth so I can keep the size of the mod down... Any suggestions?

CraigHB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2010
Reno, Nevada
The protected batteries will keep dangerous currents from occurring, but you never want to intentionally rely on a battery's protection circuitry. Just because a Li-Ion is protected does not mean it's perfectly safe. IMR batts are typically not protected and can handle high currents, but even with those, the limit can be exceeded when the charge is mismatched enough. They can vent just like the ICO batts, just not as easily. When running Li-Ion cells in parallel, it's best to use them in a fixed pack where the cells cannot be disconnected from eachother. I've read of people running removable Li-Ions in parallel in this forum, but the potential for high equalizing currents adds another element of risk. If you're going to do it, you need to be aware of it.

Switching battery configuration is not safe. Batteries in series do not discharge exactly the same. Every time you switch from series to parallel, you will likely get high equalizing currents. These batteries have very low internal DC resistance and it only takes a tenth of a Volt difference to hit the current limit on an ICO batt, about three tenths of a Volt for an IMR batt. Series batts can often exceed that difference when discharging, especially when one is more worn than the other. That can happen even in a matched set due to normal variations in manufacturing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread