Bad snus news in Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Snus is going to face rough going in Canada, too.

.... Out, For Once
If The Anti-tobacco Lobby Is Anything, It's Loud. Too Bad All That Huffing And Puffing Has Blinded It To The Value Of A Harm-Reduction Product For Nicotine Addicts Who Simply Can't Quit

Kevin Libin, National Post
Canada has been fighting big tobacco so long, perhaps it doesn't know how to do anything else -- even if tobacco manufacturers may be on to something that could give smokers longer, healthier lives. Recently, Imperial Tobacco made Edmonton a test market for a cigarette-replacement product that dramatically reduces risks of heart disease and cancer. Were this product made by Pfizer or Johnson & Johnson, it might have earned endorsements from health officials. Consumers might have even heard about it, since drug firms are freer to advertise than tobacco makers. Instead, the experiment was a dud. Most smokers never learned of "snus," and that may be the end of an unusual, novel product in Canada.

In America, meantime, RJ Reynolds just launched a glitzy, national rollout of snus under its Camel cigarette brand. "Your cigarettes may get jealous," says the full-page ad in magazines like People, Rolling Stone and Sports Illustrated. Indeed, they might: Snus, a low-carcinogen tobacco contained in a pouch tucked under the lip, is vastly safer than smoking, independent research asserts. Over the past decade, it rapidly replaced cigarettes in Sweden, its birthplace, driving cancer and heart-disease rates to the lowest in Europe. University of Michigan's Tobacco Research Network director says of snus, "There is no compelling evidence that it has any adverse health consequences." Harvard's Tobacco Control Research Group last year said that switching every smoker to a smokeless product like snus would be a "public health miracle."

So why not here? For all our punitive tobacco taxes and bans, there remains a stubborn, significant rump of people -- about one in five Canadians -- who still smoke. They are why some epidemiologists study tobacco "harm reduction": If we can't make people quit the weed, they ask, can we at least make it safer? They've found smokeless tobacco, especially snus, offers an answer. Unfortunately, for those fixated on battling tobacco makers, it's one they don't want to hear.

One University of Alberta epidemiologist is the target of a campaign by antitobacco activists pushing to have him fired for studying snus harm reduction. The World Health Organization advises members to restrict smokeless tobacco with the same vigour as cigarettes, leading many European countries to ban snus trials. Canada, meanwhile, severely limits advertising or displays of smokeless tobacco. It could soon be illegal to sell snus altogether, since it typically comes in flavours like mint, whiskey, or apple: Politicians, including the prime minister, are vowing to ban flavoured tobacco, persuaded by anti-smoking groups that they're used like candy to lure children.

If we want to reduce tobacco-related morbidity, this is exactly the wrong approach. More smokers kick cigarettes with smokeless tobacco than with all the drugs and patches on the market, according to SmokeFree Pennsylvania, which believes health experts have an "ethical duty" to recommend safer, smokeless products like snus to nicotine addicts. Tobacco companies, having finally found a growth product they can morally stand behind, are plowing millions into getting smokers to switch. (Besides RJ Reynolds, Philip Morris recently entered a joint snus venture with Swedish Match.) If they succeed, Americans may one day realize that elusive public health miracle. Canadian policy makers, on the other hand, keep blindly fighting Big Tobacco -- an industry that may have a solution to the very health problem it helped create.

Frankie

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2008
Slovakia
I liked snus while it lasted, but I beg to differ with the author. Implying there are no health consequences for abusing a stimulant drug is plain stupid in my opinion. There are risks and consequences including higher (double?) death rate for snusers with cardiovascular problems compared to non-snusers with the same problems. Which is sort of understandable as snus increases blood pressure for some people. Like me :(

Kitabz

ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2009
UK
There are risks and consequences including higher (double?) death rate for snusers with cardiovascular problems compared to non-snusers with the same problems. Which is sort of understandable as snus increases blood pressure for some people. Like me :(

Source: Smokeless tobacco and your health. (tobaccoharmreduction.org)
The available evidence shows that if there is any risk from smokeless tobacco, it is low, less than a 20% increase (for comparison, smoking is estimated to roughly double this risk, a 100% increase). This is potentially more important than a similar percentage increase in oral cancer risk, since cardiovascular disease is a lot more common. If the risk of cardiovascular disease increases by as much as 20% then smokeless tobacco might cause 3% or 4% of the risk associated with smoking. That is still a lot better than smoking, of course, but worse than one percent. Fortunately, most of the evidence suggests that nicotine without the smoke is not actually quite that bad. But it would be useful to do more research to find out more. Unlike with oral cancer, there is not enough available research about cardiovascular disease for us to feel entirely comfortable in our conclusions.
Of course, the risk increase above is for the general population, not for smokeless tobacco users with cardiovascular problems.

Joe81

ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2009
USA
thats just gr8...still analog until i grab my 510 in a few days...i was looking for alternatives i haven't tried & snus seemed like the only thing worth trying...got my hopes up for a minute until i realized i can't seem to find any in toronto, i'm sure there's a spot but a google search won't find me anything...if anybody can find snus in toronto or places that ship to canada, tell me where! i have to try dumaurier's overpriced snus just cuz they are my analog supply...other than that, camel & lucky strike are the only other brands i know...gotta read up on some swedish snus

Last edited:

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
It doesn't look as if there is anyplace in Canada you can buy it at a store front. You may want to check out this site. There has been trouble importing Swedish snus into Canada.

SnusOn.com - Snus Forum :: Index

Do some searches about it.

Another idea, but I would have no idea if it's legal or not, and if your desperate enough, is to drive to the US and buy it here. This is the store locator.

SwedishSnus.com by Swedish Match

It looks as if there is snus in Michigan.

Joe81

ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2009
USA
It doesn't look as if there is anyplace in Canada you can buy it at a store front. You may want to check out this site. There has been trouble importing Swedish snus into Canada.

SnusOn.com - Snus Forum :: Index

Do some searches about it.

Another idea, but I would have no idea if it's legal or not, and if your desperate enough, is to drive to the US and buy it here. This is the store locator.

SwedishSnus.com by Swedish Match

It looks as if there is snus in Michigan.
yea there's trouble getting anything up here, the anti-smoking laws have gone nuts...when they doubled the price of cigarettes, they claimed it was to help us cut down or whatever, sounds like more $ for them :mad:...an old article said the overpriced dumauriers were being tested in edmonton, can't seem to find any updates or info on that...anyways, tx for the info, will check those out...

Last edited:

Joe81

ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2009
USA
Just curious. Sorry if I seem dumb.
Can you buy snus on the internet
if you live in Canada?

Like I said, I'm ignorant about this stuff.
you can, but seems the occasional order still gets rejected, much like ecigs...i heard from someone else here, there is the offchance they will let it in, but charge u an extra $25 for each pack or something ridiculous...if that happens, just reject the delivery & i guess try again...im gonna give it a try sometime soon & hopefully i'll also find someone who can go to edmonton & grab me the dumauriers...or hopefully there's a canadian vendor out there that carries snus

Last edited:

Joe81

ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2009
USA
I hear ya, Joker. I want to get these to soak for the tobacco flavor:

Lucky Strike, Portion, Snus

But will they ship to the US? Noooooooooo.

Sheesh.

- -
Okay,
Father Luke
really? i thought the US got a ton of snu flavors/brands now...currently thinking of trying out northerner.com for my snus demo, they got some camels, lucky strikes, klondikes (is that the same company that sells klondike bars?) & some others...btw, that site u showed me says they ship worldwide?

Well, they do ship world wide. But the Lucky Strikes, and CAMEL
interestingly enough, are verboten in the U.S. - but that's okay,
because those were the two I wanted...

We are not allowed to sell
this product to the US due
to brand regulations.

Jeeze these guys.

- -
Okay,
Father Luke

Joe81

ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2009
USA
Well, they do ship world wide. But the Lucky Strikes, and CAMEL
interestingly enough, are verboten in the U.S. - but that's okay,
because those were the two I wanted...

We are not allowed to sell
this product to the US due
to brand regulations.

Jeeze these guys.

- -
Okay,
Father Luke
yep, everything's gone bat*****! why is it so much trouble to get snus & ecigs, etc. when cigarettes can be bought anywhere! they picked edmonton & some other places to test market here, but not toronto of all places, jeez...tobacco companies just want their money and anti-smokers scold us for not going cold turkey...its like if we're not quitting cold turkey, they'd rather have us chain smoking to the grave...anyways i'm done my rant...but i have a question, do they cover up all the smokes and tobacco products in the u.s. or can u still see them in the display shelves? up here, they started covering everything up...drove me crazy when i wanted to try out a new brand or alternatives...

Let's get this out of the way first. I quit smoking about five years
ago, see the link in my signature for the full story.

The snus were mentioned in a thread in the diy forum for making a
nice tobacco flavor with negligible/zero nicotine. And that's what I
am after with the snus. This thread:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...cco-flavoring-nicotine-extraction-method.html

As to the cover up. Dunno. It's really been that long. I do remember
a time when cigarettes were sold out of vending machines.

648832556_e9cd4c4e13.jpg

But no. Cigarettes are still sold out in the open.
Just for today anyway.

- -
Okay,
Father Luke

Joe81

ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2009
USA
Let's get this out of the way first. I quit smoking about five years
ago, see the link in my signature for the full story.

The snus were mentioned in a thread in the diy forum for making a
nice tobacco flavor with negligible/zero nicotine. And that's what I
am after with the snus. This thread:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...cco-flavoring-nicotine-extraction-method.html

As to the cover up. Dunno. It's really been that long. I do remember
a time when cigarettes were sold out of vending machines.

648832556_e9cd4c4e13.jpg

But no. Cigarettes are still sold out in the open.
Just for today anyway.

- -
Okay,
Father Luke
yep i heard of that method, i might give that a try sometime...i also remember the vending machines...the fact they cover it up i guess is good for avoiding temptation for ex-smokers, as long as they uncover it when i want something hehe...when this law first passed, i wanted to see some cigars to cut down cigarettes, but i didn't know any brands...the clerk was so over cautious about the new law that he didn't want to show me what he had lol...btw, about those camels, etc. maybe u can get somebody to buy em & send em to u in a diff. brand tin/package

. . . maybe u can get somebody to buy em & send em to u in a diff. brand tin/package

I have no problem with breaking the law, but I'm a cheap ........
The shipping would make it not worth the while. I'll just find one
that comes close, and experiment.

sign0076.gif

Joe81

ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2009
USA
I have no problem with breaking the law, but I'm a cheap ........
The shipping would make it not worth the while. I'll just find one
that comes close, and experiment.

sign0076.gif
hehe okay...i'm a cheap ....... too, been waiting a month to start vaping hehe...i will probably not get to bother trying snus for a bit...gonna focus my low cash on getting used to the vaping first :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread