Authentic Box Mod vs. Clone Box Mod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrushyHillGuide

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2014
Sabinal, TX
I'm considering buying a box mod like a Hana, ipv 50, Reo, Clouper 150W (presale) etc. I'm wondering whether the authentic box mods are worth the extra money or if they're just a way to show off, with no practical advantages over the clones? I ask because I've read some pretty rave reviews of the Hana clone from Fastech that's about 20% of the cost of an authentic Hana. It got me to wondering about the real-world differences in performance and how great the difference in build quality of these, and other, clones versus the authentics.

If you were going to buy a box mod to last you (capability-wise) for a while. and money was not (really) the concern, which mod would you get (including those available for pre-order) which one would you choose.......and why?

Last edited:

Cullin Kin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
The 3Oh!3, Colorado
www.youtube.com
I was convinced yesterday to invest in the IPV3 150W. Why? So I can power three 50W light bulbs on the go. All jokes aside, that is what I'll be buying. Why? 1 year warranty, 150W of pure schmecks, upgradeable firmware, it's $1.00 per Watt or less, and somewhat the looks. It truly will be an authentic device to last you the rest of your Vaping career. Well, that and a Reo.

I know Evolv is working on a pretty amazing chip that will somehow control the temperature your coils fire at... But goodness knows it will be crazy expensive. Typically, authentic Evolv devices go for $8.00 per Watt.

TXBiker

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2014
Center of Texas
The Evolv sounds bad ...... I thought about the IPV3 which no doubt would be the end all for me with its stats but it was plain over kill. I don't cloud chase or get wild with builds. I've got a couple of rda's with good builds for flavor and moderate clouds and I'm happy. The evolution of the box is cool to watch though. It's been growing as fast as computer technology did in the 90's and early 2000's.

unsure

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2010
Silicon Valley, California
I will never speak negatively of a device I never used that said I like a bottom fed mechanical mod over any other. Regulated mods are cool but god forbid you accidently pop in a battery the wrong way and fry the chip. if you insist on one make sure it has reverse polarity protection.

To clone or not to clone....its a personal call imo. Assuming the clone isn't POS then I guess it's up to the user. I like what quality provides me and you never know about a clone. If money is your only consideration then the decision is easy. Like cheap and expensive cars...they both get you from point A to point B till they don't. After 4 years of vaping I'll take a REO over everything else...just my :2c:

yoitstj

Verified Member
Aug 12, 2014
Albany, NY
Clone v Authentic. Differences are having an authentic chip in there that went thru QA testing v a mass produced knockoff chip that went thru no testing. Thats for regulated box mads anyway. The knockoffs do not give you the actual wattage that is displayed on the screen. This has been tested. There are videos on youtube. Also there is a difference in the quality of the build of the device. Authentic will have a better 510 connection and better materials.

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina
The bottom line is. . . the reo gives me the best vape I've ever experienced and now find everything else I bought is sub par. As with any hobby, addiction or pleasure. . . you might as well go for the best. And what I mean by best is what makes you the happiest. I have found what satiates me. Good luck to you.

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
I'm a reo guy while my wife has been a steadfast regulated vaper. For her, the regulation gives her less battery management issues (e.g., she loves pass through and mini-usb charging), more control over the vape after an atty has been set up, and (perhaps merely perceived) extra safety. For me, the reo gets me the highest vape quality (it's dripping from the bottom) and the ultimate in durability/reliability/maintainability. Plus, it's more of a hobbyist piece (which I like).

So, there's that on the mech vs regulated front.

As far as authentic versus clone and money weren't an issue (you kinda posited that), I'd go with the authentic. I mean, isn't money the only real consideration? Very few people seem to buy clones because of other concerns (other than availability, in some cases - Caravela, anyone?).

Going the clone route opens you up to the QC and other quality issues described above, and it raises the question of original art misconduct (big ol' can of worms, that).

unsure

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2010
Silicon Valley, California
Lets be honest here...talking authentic versus clone its really only the money that's the consideration. Who buys a clone because it's better than the original. No such animal because a real clone by definition can only be as good at best. If it was better then its not a clone but something else.

BrushyHillGuide

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2014
Sabinal, TX
Lets be honest here...talking authentic versus clone its really only the money that's the consideration. Who buys a clone because it's better than the original. No such animal because a real clone by definition can only be as good at best. If it was better then its not a clone but something else.

I don't think ANYONE suggested that a clone might be better than an authentic. What my question boiled down to is: Are many of these clones (let's just say the Hana clone, for argument's sake) AS good as the authentics, or at least SO close to identical (functionality and quality) as to render the authentics nothing more than a superfluous waste of money?

Most "imitations" in this world suffer from a distinct lack of quality, as compared to the original. So, I'm just curious whether that's the case here? I'm fortunate that I don't really have to worry about the price of a mod, if I don't want to; but that doesn't mean I'm going to spend the extra unless I think I'm going to GET something for my money. Just buying something "because you can" is stupid. Before I make a decision, I wanted to do some research.

I appreciate all the posts, y'all! Some things to think about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dirtybirdy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2014
Georgia
This is my experience. I purchased a Cloupor DNA 30 and it worked great for about a week and now the display screen works sometimes and sometimes it does. I obviously need it to work so I know what I am adjusting it too and what not.

I just purchased a Hana V3 it is currently in the mail. I will be able to tell you the difference between the two once I get the Hana.

I have also had a Reo. I hated it. I don't know if I can honestly say I have it a fair shot. I am tempted to buy another one. I think I disliked the RM2. It so little to work on and I have big hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread