AGI Spring Issue and Fix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chakthi

ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2013
Dayton, Ohio
I'm not sure if this has been posted elsewhere in the forums or not, but I want to make sure that folks know there IS a potential problem with the AGI when used in genesis mode. If you plan to use it as a dripper only, there's no need to even worry about the spring as it isn't even in use when the AGI is set up as a dripper. The original credit for this goes to Todd of Todds Reviews.

After watching a video by Todd about the AGI v2 (all they did was fix the leaking set screw issue), I decided to take my AGI apart tonight and take a look at the spring. According to the video, when running very low ohm coils, the spring causes a large power loss, and is actually a hot spring. If it gets too hot, it will melt. I must have come close to causing it to fail, because mine was black and kind of fused together in the center of the spring. There's an easy fix for this though, and some of the info in the video is not exactly correct imo. The video states a 14 gauge needle cut to 12mm will fix the problem, and as such, I ordered a couple last night - but I won't be needing them. A 16 gauge needle fits perfectly over the little pin on the base, and an 11mm piece would seem to be the ideal size. Of course with all thing in vaping, YMMV.

While I was "under the hood" so-to-speak, I decided I may as well make the modifications I had been thinking about. I widened the air hole to 1/16", and the wick hole to 1/8". This was the first time I had ever drilled a wick hole out, and I found out just how difficult and time-consuming it can be! lol I have very few tools of my own, so I borrowed a drill from a friend. I also don't have a vise, so I had to hold the RBA in my hand while drilling. I determined the best thing would be to drill it out to 7/64 first, which got rid of the threads inside. That was the easy part though. Drilling it out to 1/8" took 45-60 minutes because I had to go slowly due to heat build-up. In the end though, it was worth it. This thing vapes like a dream now.

I hope this is useful to someone. The AGI definitely has some problems as it is right out of the box, but I'm vaping the proof right now that with a bit of modification, it can end up being a damn good genesis-style RBA!

Vape on! :rickroll:

Chakthi

ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2013
Dayton, Ohio
I did something very similar. Took speaker wire from home depot. Pulled a 10mm strand out. Stuck in in the middle of the spring. Boom fixed. I wish this was my idea but the folks and Pure Vapor told me about it

That's a good idea as well. I guess you had to wrap the wire around the pin at the base, or did you solder it there? I think copper is a better conductor of electricity than stainless steel, though tbh, I'm not sure of the specifics. I have some solid copper wire here, and while it would fit up inside the connector at the top very nicely, I couldn't figure out how to connect it securely to the pin at the bottom.

littlewing6283

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2013
So Cal
That's a good idea as well. I guess you had to wrap the wire around the pin at the base, or did you solder it there? I think copper is a better conductor of electricity than stainless steel, though tbh, I'm not sure of the specifics. I have some solid copper wire here, and while it would fit up inside the connector at the top very nicely, I couldn't figure out how to connect it securely to the pin at the bottom.

actually just dropped it in. When you tighten the uppper section down it makes the connection and holds it.

littlewing6283

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2013
So Cal
isn't the center spring exposed to ejuice in the tank ? if this is so, corrosion of the copper could be a concern

it is a bit not sure how much liquid actually gets in there though. seems like a pretty tight fit to me. i'll keep you guys posted. i'm always tearing this thing down anyways.

also I guess I can always change out the copper pin when I rebuilt. a 1 foot cable has so many strands it'll last me a LOOONG time

mad maori

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2012
new zealand
i got these thingamagiggies or whatsamacallits from a electronics store and - cut off the plastic bit with a craft knife- filed both ends down a bit to size and place over pin on the base plate-- now the AGI works like a champ!!!!!

pin2.jpg
pin2.jpg

Chakthi

ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2013
Dayton, Ohio
i got these thingamagiggies or whatsamacallits from a electronics store and - cut off the plastic bit with a craft knife- filed both ends down a bit to size and place over pin on the base plate-- now the AGI works like a champ!!!!!

View attachment 213311
View attachment 213311

Awesome - glad they work out for you. What exactly does the package the thingamagiggies came in say they are really called? lol

Chakthi

ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2013
Dayton, Ohio
View attachment 213338

they are made by duratech- dont know what they are called- there some type of connecting pin for electronics

Okay. We have Radio Shack here in the states, and they stock tons of parts similar to that, so shouldn't be too difficult to find. Thanks for the tip! I'm pretty sure the syringe needles are stainless steel though, so I'm thinking they should basically do the same thing. Anyone?

thevyrus

ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2013
new york
I was struggling like mad with the AGI. Tried the syringe dropped in the spring, worked better than stock, but my other attys were still outperforming on same wick and coil set ups. I decided to rip out the spring altogether. I then took a blunt needle and wrapped a tight tight microcoil using two strands of copper wire in a parallel setup. I made this "micro wrap" about 2 cm in length, slid it off the syringe, slid it onto the little post the previous spring was on. Then i cut it down to size to make contact with the 510 of the deck. Perfect. Works just as well as my other attys now. I didnt wanna go to another hardware store, though a copper tube would be ideal, i just worked with jnexpensive wire i already had tons of and a syringe to wrap on.

rogergendron1

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
woburn ma
I made a solid ss center post for mine with a dremal useing a ss rod.

Sexond I drilled out my wick hole to the drill bit size for a 3/32 tap then tapped it for 3/32 threading. This gave me a 3times bigger wick hole and allows me to use a 3/32 set screw to convert back to a dripper

Third I drilled the air hole to 2mm

Then I modded my smoketech natural by making a ddiy sg1 kit for it agian with a dremal tool and a large bolt, drilled out center and tapped for 510. Now it screws directly into the nayural and contacts the positive on the battery directly.

My wick hole is around 3.2mm and tapped for a 3/32 setcrew my airhole is .076 close to 2mm, my spring is gone and a stainless rod is in its place and its permanantly fixed to my natural making it a hybrid agi

Attachments

• 2013-07-14 01.15.35.jpg
    2013-07-14 01.15.35.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 120
  • 2013-07-17 23.09.05.jpg
    2013-07-17 23.09.05.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread