need help wiht ihybrid setup...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quoiyaien

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2012
Beautiful BC
I have an ihybrid Mayan LE that I have been trying to get set up for 4 days now without much luck. I am using a 3/2 wrap of twisted 32g, at 1ohm and even though I finally got the coil working, the wick is just not cutting it. I have been increasing the size of the center channel on each wick (ive rolled 5 wicks now and have probably popped 15-20 coils in the process). Im at the point where its either flooded or dry. I cant get a good vape on this thing for the life of me. When I pick it up, I have to hold it inverted for about 10 seconds to see a bead of juice on the end of the wick, then I know its good to go.. but then I vape it, and there is hardly any vapor and massive throat hit. So much that I end up hacking up a lung after ever pull. If I dont invert it first, it dries up within a few seconds and wont work again until I stop and invert it.

Just wondering if you have any suggestions for getting this badboy set up for 100%vg juice? Bigger center channel? denser wick? I never had problems setting up my zenesis which is why this is driving me friggin nuts! I want to get this set up for bobas bounty, and am just hoping there is more to this than just practice. I am really hoping Im just missing something.

Not so much on this coil, but in the past few I have had set up, within 5 minutes of vaping I get a horrible hotspot on the top coil that I just cant adjust out. I have to drain the tank, and re adjust the coil. I feel like I have wasted so much juice on this thing I just want to get it working.

I have been measuring my wicks so I know what to adjust, and I started at 4", then 3.5", and now im down to 2 3/4". Wrapping around a progressively thicker paper clip each time.

My coils are all firing evenly, and there are no hotspots or shorts on the dry wick. It just doesnt seem to be wicking properly. Like I said, either dry, or flooded. Its pissing me off... :mad:

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!
:vapor:

Quoiyaien

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2012
Beautiful BC
Its a wide open draw. Even with the cap off, it gives of a bit of vapor, but not those sputtering clouds I see in vids of properly setup coils. It only does that once the wick starts to dry out, but by then there are glowing coils.

And the airhole is right in front of the wick...

if I fire right away, no matter how much I tilt, the coils glow. Even if the thing is spewing vapor, there are still glowing coils. (and all the coils are touching the wick too, no gaps or anything. I have been wrapping my coils around a 1/8" drillbit, which seems perfect for this wickhole. But the damn coil requires so much fiddling that it almost makes it not worth it.

If I tilt until bead appears, then fire, I get a consistantly weak vapor, but no glowing coils. So flooded. It will continue to work if I keep it inverted, but again, light vapor (this is all with the topcap off)

I am going to try an unoxidized setup, but I tried that once, and popped 5 coils in a row (within a fraction of a second, first pulse)

This thing is driving me nuts... after the success I had with the zenesis I didnt think I would have so much difficulty with this thing.

Bloody hell!!!!

Quoiyaien

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2012
Beautiful BC
So I tried making a wick with a lower density, and it seems to be working OK for now. Though when it is wicking, the vapor output is still kinda low.

Scratch that... even though the juice is flowing im still getting glowing coils. My guess is that they arent making adequate contact with the wick. Im usually very good with this kind of stuff, which is what is fueling my frustration further.

Even when it is sorta working, I always develop a hotspot on the top coil within minutes. I have popped so many bloody coils its ridiculous. I have read everything on that Ihybrid wiki, and watched damn near every video on setting up gennies. I had a Zenesis and had it set up perfectly. I could roll a wick and install a working coil in minutes. On the ihybrid, I pop 4 out of 5 coils.

I dont get how I can have such ease with one hybrid and such difficulty with another...

Im done with this for today. I bought this to enjoy it and currently its anything but.

Telescope Neil

ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2013
Quezon City, Philippines
Ok, though i haven't tried this yet, but i see the logic behind it. using 28g kanthal with more wraps actually gives more vapor even at lower ohms. the thickness of the wire allows it to resist higher temperatures even at 16+ watts. that's what i learned from a guy explaining why sub ohm coils are the craze of the genny people out there. so if you're vaping a 28g wrapped kanthal wire at 18 watts, it's gonna taste amazing. but if you're doing the same with a 32g, it's gonna taste burnt.

Quoiyaien

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2012
Beautiful BC
So I just spent a few minutes fiddling with the wick and coil I currently have in there, and I managed to get it to where it is actually vapeable. Its not optimum, but its definitely vapeable. Which is more than Ive had since I got it...

Hopefully this coil will actually be on there long enough to actually break in.. lol

Clouds are decent, throat hit isnt ridiculous, and the flavour is quite nice. Hopefully it holds up. Ive been excited several times before, only to have a hotspot develop within 5 minutes...

Thompson

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2012
North of NorCal
Sounds like your using hollow centered wicks? Have you tried a solid wick?

Ok, though i haven't tried this yet, but i see the logic behind it. using 28g kanthal with more wraps actually gives more vapor even at lower ohms. the thickness of the wire allows it to resist higher temperatures even at 16+ watts. that's what i learned from a guy explaining why sub ohm coils are the craze of the genny people out there. so if you're vaping a 28g wrapped kanthal wire at 18 watts, it's gonna taste amazing. but if you're doing the same with a 32g, it's gonna taste burnt.

I believe by twisting strands of 32g, you can make it behave more like lower gauge wire.

I've seen a lot of mention of it but have yet to look into it. Doing nothing right now so may give it a go.

Quoiyaien

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2012
Beautiful BC
I have only used hollow wicks... I started out with a very narrow channel and there was absolutely no juice getting to the coil. Even completely inverted it would still glow. Perhaps im rolling the wicks to dense?

At the moment, if I tilt, too much juice gets too the coil. If I dont, I get dry hits.

Will a solid wick work with 100% VG?

Ive damn near wasted a whole bottle of bobas bounty screwing with this thing. It is taking a tremendous amount of willpower not to throw this thing into a wall.

JuniorNA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2010
NJ
I would go with 28 gauge - its almost 100% fool proof and you probably won't even get a hotspot on the first try. Wrap the coils outside of the tank and then put the wick and coil in place - then connect the wires. Red coils means the coils are either not touching or the wick is choking but you know that already.

Connected via T-A-Talk

silentdoom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2010
MO
Ohhh man. I've had days like this!! I've wanted to throw the thing at the wall so bad! I don't really know what causes this stuff man. I've gone weeks where everyday I get home from work I have to mess with my genesis!

Here's some of my thoughts.
-is the wick pulled up against the wick hole?
-are all your coils touching the wick? Sometimes, when looking at the wick from the side, I can see "gaps" between the wick and wire.
- do you think your wire is chocking the wick?

Honestly, my suggestion is keep tinkering. Don't throw your juice away each time, just suck it up into the syringe until you're ready to refill again. I've had all these same problems and other's suggestions were helpful, but never fixed it for me. I had a problem with juice boiling on my top coils and sometimes not being able to get the bottom coil evenly bright.

Quoiyaien

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2012
Beautiful BC
Thanks for the advice... and dont worry, im not throwing my juice away each time, its just that each time I tinker I will fire it to see how its working... It just so happens that I BURNED through that much juice.

I have decided to give up on the bobas bounty in the ihybrid for now. I have it in a Kanger T3 (top wick pulled) on my ego twist, and its working beautifully.

I have decided to make up a DIY vanilla flavour at 70/30 for my ihybrid. (8% bavarian cream, 2% caramel for the curious)

I was thinking last night, seeing as I can get a coil set up so easily on the zenesis, and not at all on the ihybrid, I asked myself the differences. The insulator!! So I think my wicks are just not oxidized enough and are shorting out.

So last night I rolled a solid dense wick of 500 mesh, and have been sporadically oxidizing it while hanging out with my sister. I will do a juice burn today, and try again.

I tried making it just a bit narrower so it isnt so tight in the wick hole.

I think the only coils that were working had gaps in them (however miniscule) that I took as a working coil. The only reason it was flooding was because id have to drown the coil just so it didnt glow, rather than just the wick being wet.

As a result, I adapted my coil wrapping technique to work on this device, and inadvertently learned some bad wrapping habits. Which is why most of my coils popped on the first pulse (in literally less than a second) as everything was shorting out on the body of the device. So the only coils that would work had tiny gaps that caused the flooded or dry phenomenon. (I cant tell you how frustrating it is to spend time getting a nice, perfectly looking coil installed, only to have it pop on the first pulse of the fire button)

What gets me though, is I used the drillbit method and didnt oxidize several times out of frustration. I popped everyone of those coils instantly, so I am a bit baffled how not oxidizing a conductive wick can work? Perhaps I will play with that method later, but I am going to stick to my tried and true freehand technique.

I cleaned up my work space and will try again later today. Im slowly figuring out this device... I hope to have a functional wick and coil very soon. I am definitely learning a lot in my mistakes.

Thanks again for the replies!

Cheers!

Rymarski

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 25, 2012
Chicago
Thanks for the advice... and dont worry, im not throwing my juice away each time, its just that each time I tinker I will fire it to see how its working... It just so happens that I BURNED through that much juice.

I have decided to give up on the bobas bounty in the ihybrid for now. I have it in a Kanger T3 (top wick pulled) on my ego twist, and its working beautifully.

I have decided to make up a DIY vanilla flavour at 70/30 for my ihybrid. (8% bavarian cream, 2% caramel for the curious)

I was thinking last night, seeing as I can get a coil set up so easily on the zenesis, and not at all on the ihybrid, I asked myself the differences. The insulator!! So I think my wicks are just not oxidized enough and are shorting out.

So last night I rolled a solid dense wick of 500 mesh, and have been sporadically oxidizing it while hanging out with my sister. I will do a juice burn today, and try again.

I tried making it just a bit narrower so it isnt so tight in the wick hole.

I think the only coils that were working had gaps in them (however miniscule) that I took as a working coil. The only reason it was flooding was because id have to drown the coil just so it didnt glow, rather than just the wick being wet.

As a result, I adapted my coil wrapping technique to work on this device, and inadvertently learned some bad wrapping habits. Which is why most of my coils popped on the first pulse (in literally less than a second) as everything was shorting out on the body of the device. So the only coils that would work had tiny gaps that caused the flooded or dry phenomenon. (I cant tell you how frustrating it is to spend time getting a nice, perfectly looking coil installed, only to have it pop on the first pulse of the fire button)

What gets me though, is I used the drillbit method and didnt oxidize several times out of frustration. I popped everyone of those coils instantly, so I am a bit baffled how not oxidizing a conductive wick can work? Perhaps I will play with that method later, but I am going to stick to my tried and true freehand technique.

I cleaned up my work space and will try again later today. Im slowly figuring out this device... I hope to have a functional wick and coil very soon. I am definitely learning a lot in my mistakes.

Thanks again for the replies!

Cheers!
I had the same issue with very thick VG liquid in the beginning of my RBA setups. But if you properly roll and oxidize the wick, even if you lightly oxidize it, Boba's should wick without any issues or any liquid in that case. I have noticed that as long as you use a decent amount of mesh you won't have wicking issues. I have been using 500 ss mesh btw. Keep practicing and it should start to all work out soon.

eHuman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
San Diego
I would be hard pressed to believe that you could wrap a 32g twisted 2/3 coil and get 1Ω. Are you sure that the reading is accurate? That "should" end up being sub 1Ω and is likely the cause of so many coils popping. Try 3/4 wrap.

If you are testing Ω with a meter, make sure you tare out nominal Ωs. I.E. touch the 2 leads together, note Ω value, meter your coil and then subtract the nominal reading that you noted previously to get a more accurate reading.

Quoiyaien

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2012
Beautiful BC
I use an analog meter with an ohms adjust wheel. It allows me to zero out the reading when the probes are in contact. I am positive my readings are correct, I have had a lot of practice ;) (installation and repair technician for telus; phone, internet, TV and fiber optic)

I was having the same issues with popping when I used 3/4 wraps of single strand 32g. Im just dealing with a short. A very stubborn short.

I am going to oxidize more and roll the wick a little smaller so its not so tight in the hole. I will probably try again tonight.

Cheers!

Quoiyaien

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2012
Beautiful BC
Just to update everyone, I rolled a dense, solid wick, and finally have a working coil!!!!

I can hold it completely upright, and even after holding the fire button for 10 seconds, no hot spots appeared!!

Its not exactly pouring out vapor, but I imagine that after a bit of break in time, it will improve.

No that I have a hang of this, I can only see it getting better!

Thanks everyone for the input!

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread